Tax Credits & Affordable Housing
Tax Credit and Affordable Housing developments present clients with many intricate legal challenges that can be difficult to unravel. In today’s economic environment, clients face many hurdles advancing projects from the drawing board to the construction site to occupancy.
We use our expertise in tax structuring, financing and development to assist clients on all aspects of project development. We work hard to help our clients overcome challenges and keep their projects moving forward.
Further, since federally assisted housing is also regulated and assisted at the state and local levels, in the jurisdictions where our attorneys practice, our Affordable Housing practice has worked with developers and financiers in using these local programs and coordinating them with the federal programs.
We represent clients in matters involving:
- Federal and state LIHTCs
- Multi-tiered public and private secured financing (construction and permanent)
- Real estate tax abatements
- Tax-exempt bond financing and credit enhancements
- Acquisitions and sales of limited partnership interests in existing LIHTC projects
- Debt structuring of LIHTC projects
- Inter-creditor issues
- Land-use entitlements
- Construction and architectural contracts
- Construction and permanent loan financings
- Equity investment structures, including combined equity, construction loans, and permanent loans in “to-be-built” projects
- Syndication and sale of portfolios or upper-tier equity interests
- Tax-exempt financings combined with Section 42 credits
- LIHTC credits combined with historic tax credits and/or renewable energy credits
Related AttorneysWilliam G. Burgin IIIMichael J. Wenig