D. Ross Hamilton, Jr.
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
Labor & Employment Law
Real Estate & Construction Law
Flat Fee Business Solutions
Ross Hamilton serves as outside general counsel to long-standing firm clients meeting their needs for general corporate, compliance and litigation advice and representation in a multitude of legal matters. His background includes corporate governance, contract negotiation, finance and credit issues, supplier and customer issues, products liability, employment law and federal contractor obligations, benefits and other regulatory compliance concerns for business. When he began practicing, he focused on employment law compliance which is useful when serving the many needs of his corporate clients.
Ross has extensive experience working with multi-national manufacturing companies across different industries, including automotive supply, textile and furniture. His experience extends to working with operations in the United States as well as internationally.
Taking a proactive approach, Ross helps clients face the issues that arise due to economic challenges, employment issues, competition and government regulation and seeks a pathway to avoid litigation where possible.
When litigation does arise, Ross has defended employers before federal and state courts as well as administrative agencies in North Carolina, Virginia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Washington.
Ross’ regular areas of practice for employers include:
- Representation on claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation and wrongful termination;
- Compliance and representation on wage and hour claims, including state wage payment rules, overtime obligations and exemptions;
- Compliance and representation on disability accommodation requirements and leave obligations;
- Federal contractor compliance with Executive Order 11246 and regulations governing Affirmative Action Programs;
- Advice for workplace investigations and terminations, workforce restructuring decisions and plant closure regulations;
- Arbitration of grievances under collective bargaining agreements; and
- Preparation of personnel policies and employee handbooks, employment agreements and restrictive covenants.
Ross is a director of the firm. Before joining Tuggle Duggins in December, 2005, Ross practiced for more than eleven years with Womble, Carlyle, Sandridge & Rice and Haynsworth, Baldwin, Johnson & Greaves.
Outside of the office, Ross has served on community non-profit boards, including Goodwill Industries of Central North Carolina, Inc., has volunteered to grow the game of youth lacrosse in the Triad, and enjoys spending time on the water on Chesapeake Bay.