- Sheila Duckett
Scott C. Gayle
Banking & Commercial Transactions
Business Services & Governmental Affairs
Estate Planning & Wealth Management
Real Estate & Construction Law
Scott Gayle, a director of the firm, has a broad business and corporate practice with a focus on commercial real estate transactions, including hotels, convenience stores, restaurants, breweries, commercial buildings and apartment complexes. He handles all types of commercial loan closings and title searches for conventional, construction and SBA loans, plus refinancing and owner-financing. He is an approved closing attorney for Chicago Title Insurance, Fidelity Title Insurance, Investors Title Insurance among others.
For clients involved in the sale or purchase of a business, Scott handles the formation of LLCs or S-Corporations, and the negotiation of purchase agreements, loan agreements, security agreements, franchise agreements, guaranties and complex leases for both in-state and out-of-state clients. Once new entities are formed, he prepares detailed operating agreements or buy-sell agreements, to meet the owners’ desire for stability and control, and he can provide non-competition and confidentiality agreements to preserve the client’s trade secrets and customer base. For clients with valuable patents pending, patents and trademarks, he coordinates with the firm’s intellectual property attorneys to craft effective NDAs and licensing agreements.
Scott works closely with the firm’s estate planning attorneys to help his clients coordinate their individual wills and trusts with a realistic business succession plan for each company, with a goal of providing income and stability for the long run.
If litigation is likely, Scott’s previous experience court experience helps him provide creative out-of-court settlements to avoid high litigation costs and unpredictable risks for the client. When litigation is unavoidable, he coordinates with the firm’s litigation attorneys, seeking the best and most cost-effective result from a business perspective.
- J.D., Duke University, 1977
- B.A., University of North Carolina, with highest honors, 1974
- North Carolina Courts
- US District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- US District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina
- US District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- US Supreme Court
- Federal Courts of North Carolina
- Morehead Scholar and Phi Beta Kappa, University of North Carolina (1974)
- Governor Terry Sanford Achievement Award for helping continue the NC Governor's School (NCGS Alumni Association 2012)
- Jim Hart Governor's School Champion Award for extraordinary contributions to the Governor's School of North Carolina (NCGS Foundation, 2016)
- Greensboro Bar Association (President, Real Estate Section 2016)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- NC Governor's School Foundation (Past President; Board of Directors 2010-2016)
- Morehead - Cain Foundation; Regional Selection Committee (2011-2014)
- Elon University School of Law: Volunteer Preceptor (2012-2015)
- Chi Psi Fraternity - University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Alpha Sigma Chapter
- Governor's School of North Carolina (Math 1968)